It happens to everyone. From time to time, things at work get you down and you end up telling yourself that you hate your job and it's time to go. But usually, it's just like bad weather. The mood will pass.
Which leaves us with one question: how do you know if you really hate your job or if it's just the weather? It's an important question given that we spend most of our lives working.
Here are the 7 Signs:
#1 -- Iâ€™ve Got the Monday Morning Blues
Everybodyâ€™s heard it â€“ people moaning about the fact that itâ€™s Monday.
â€œHow are you today?â€
â€œOh, Iâ€™m O.K. for a Monday.â€
If you find yourself ruing Monday (or whatever happens to be the first day in your work week), you may very well hate work. Monday is a day like any of the other six days in a week. It holds the promise of new discoveries, opportunities to solve challenges, the chance to work with comrades to improve outcomes, and the reward of contributing to the success of your organization. If these elements donâ€™t exist for you, or arenâ€™t apparent to you, something is dreadfully lacking, and no one could blame you for hating work.
#2 -- T.G.I.F.
If you live for the end of the work week so you can head for happy hour to drown your sorrows, chances are something is lacking at work! Everybody looks forward to a break in work â€“ R & R to relax and renew, to connect with family and friends, to devote time to personal pastimes and projects, but if half of Friday is spent salivating at the thought of â€œgetting out,â€ whoa! Take a good look at how you really feel about the work youâ€™re doing.
#3 -- Youâ€™ve Got My Body, But My Brain is Somewhere Else
Some researchers suggest that the average worker spends less than 60 percent of the day actually engaged in work. The other 40 percent is spent daydreaming, surfing the Web, playing games, engaging in personal phone calls, etc. Keep an informal (yet candid) log of how you spend the average day. If you find you are committing less than 95 percent of your time to activities that directly benefit your employer, someone is being shortchanged! Most likely you and your employer!
#4 -- You Spend More Time at The Water Cooler Than at Your Desk
Gossip â€“ a terrific waste of time and energy â€“ brings only grief, to those who engage in it and to those who are the brunt of it. There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that itâ€™s hardly appropriate for any of us to be gossiping. Sometimes the practice is a learned behavior that we ought to eliminate; sometimes we get sucked into it. People who are passionate about their work find no time to engage in idle chatter about their employer, their co-workers, or celebrities. They are having too much fun applying their talents for the advancement of their organization.
#5 -- Youâ€™re in Danger of Being Crushed if Your Inbox Falls Over
Do you find yourself avoiding projects? This often results from lack of clear vision â€“ how does the accomplishment of this project move us toward success? Those with a clear, compelling vision relish the opportunity to tackle assignments and contribute to the attainment of that vision.
#6 -- You Wouldnâ€™t Recognize â€˜The Bossâ€™ if His Picture Didnâ€™t Hang in the Foyer
Lack of recognition is one of the most common comments made by employees in job satisfaction research. Truly, it isnâ€™t much fun to pour yourself into a project, only to receive no thanks. The Gallup Organization discovered in itâ€™s benchmark 25-year study of successful organizations, that one of the most important factors in job satisfaction was recognition by an employeeâ€™s direct supervisor/manager.
#7 -- â€œThatâ€™s Not in My Job Descriptionâ€ Is Your Favorite Song
If you have ever asked a co-worker to lend a hand, and heard the reply, â€œthatâ€™s not in my job description,â€ you are not to be blamed for hating work. That response is never heard in organizations that are driven by a compelling vision, where everyone chips in to achieve success. My financial advisor has built a team dedicated to providing extraordinary service to clients. Everyone on that team is capable of responding to my needs â€“ no one ever says, â€œIâ€™m sorry, I canâ€™t take care of that . . . youâ€™ll have to talk to so-and-so.â€
This is the perfect time to determine how you feel about work. If you hate it, there could be no better time to give it up (the hatred, not the work), discover your compelling vision, and change the course of your life. You owe it to employer. More importantly, you owe it to your yourself.
source: Upward Bound