DOT targets 3-M increase in visitors in 2017
By Digna D. Banzon
DAVAO CITY, Jan. 2 (PNA) -- The Department of Tourism (DOT) is aiming a three million increase in visitor arrivals this year from 2016’s six million in Davao region.
Tourism Secretary Wanda Corazon Teo in an interview Monday said, "this mark could be too ambitious but we will market our destinations around the globe the best way we could".
"You know I am very ambitious but we will work hard for it," she said, explaining that 2017 is a very busy year for as several events have already been lined up towards the end of the year.
"We are starting the year right with big international events," she said.
She said the hosting of Miss Universe pageant is a big opportunity for the city and the Philippines to be known around the world.
"The ASEAN 50 is another big one that we are hosting this January," she added.
Meanwhile, Teo also vowed to market the country’s destinations and will push Davao’s presence in both domestic and international travel fairs.
She said DOT will be pouring bigger budget for the promotion of Davao. "And in all of the travels that I've done especially on international, I endorsed the country's destinations including Davao," she said.
She said they will do more promotions for Davao and Mindanao.
Teo also said they expect more tourism-related investments to come to Davao. In fact, she noted, a team of investors from China came to the city to visit the sites referred to them.
Teo did not give details on this, but she said the investors already checked on the area early December last year where their requirement is about 300 hectares.
She said they prefer beach line properties where they could build hotels and put up other related tourism establishments. (PNA)