A Quiz Breather
1. He is one of Bohol's most respected visual artists. His monumental works include the Cristo Rey monument and the grotto of Lourdes in Loon, the Stations of the Cross inside the Dauis church, and wooden sculptures of the Last Supper that adorn many dining rooms of Boholano families.
2. Called the singing priest of Calbayog City, this Boholano artist played the lead role in a musical mounted by the city’s theater group that went on a national tour.
3. An all-Boholano band called H2O (At the peak of their career they performed in Manila but disbanded later). Who is the band's keyboardist?
4. This band manager cum band vocalist has performed in the Sultanate of Brunei and the Asean entertainment circuit, as well as in Beijing.
5. This contemporary of Pitoy Moreno designed dresses and gowns for Manila's elite society.
6. He was a high-caliber instrumentalist, composer and musical arranger who discovered, coached and made Sonia L. Sanguenza, a.k.a. Sonia Singson, a singing sensation.
7. He could be Bohol's most prolific collage artist and handicraft designer. His works adorn Garden Cafe, Payag, Bohol Tropics and other business establishments and private homes.
8. This visual artist studied Fine Arts at the University of the Philippines in Cebu and works at his studio called Isla Vista on Cabilao Island.
9. This multi-awarded short-story and "balak" writer, won the Palanca Award in English poetry three times. He was also a graduate of both the UP Writers Workshop and the Asean Writers Workshop. Name this famous Boholano poet.
10. Last year (2007), during the National Arts Month, a search for Bohol's "kundiman" divas was conducted. Who were the three finalists?
11. One of Bohol's leading street dancing and special events choreographer teaches at Mater Dei College.
12. A group of local poets launched in 2000 its first collection of poems aptly entitled "Unang Agi". The association is also Bohol’s only grantee of the Tanghal Tula program of the Cultural Center of the Philippines.
13. This group of elementary pupils placed second and third in 1981 and 1985, respectively, in the National Music Competitions for Young Artists. Its new generation won first place in the Daygon Contest mounted at BQ Mall on December 2007.
14. This poet and songwriter is considered the only poet warrior of the Philippines.
15. This Boholano Franciscan friar designed and executed a huge Pieta that greets the faithful visiting one of Naga City's Catholic churches. His other monumental work is the main altar of the Mary Coredemtrix Shrine in Talamban, Cebu City.
16. A choir trainer all his life, he won the grand prize in the Golden Jubilee Songwriting Contest of the Diocese of Tagbilaran with his composition "Pagmaya Kristohanong Katilingban". He also placed second in the First ASEAN Jamboree Song Competition.
17. This lead guitarist of Teeth, Mongols, Daydream Cycle, Pupil and other Manila-based bands was chosen as Guitarist of the Year during the NU Rock Awards in 2004.
18. Kim in "Miss Saigon", Fantine in "Les Miserables", and Imelda Marcos in "Here Lies Love" are only a few of the roles this Boholana played in musicals in New York.
19. He is presently the dean of the Conservatory of Music of the University of San Agustin in Iloilo City. He has performed in concerts with Luke Mejares, Jose Mari Chan and Yeng Constantino.
20. He is a TV writer and director, and member of the Screenwriters Guild of the Philippines. Name this very young talent behind Amor Chiko, Saranghe and other teleseries on Abs-Cbn.
21. He composed "Bohol Hymn" or Awit sa Bohol, the immortal "Ako Kang Paabuton", "Dalaga sa Baybayon", "UB Hymn" and "BSAT Song", among others. Even long after his death, he is still recognized as Bohol's most respected journalist and newspaper columnist.
22. This poet and journalist also wrote scripts for movies, especially those directed by Lino Brocka. He was a former member of the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board. He and his brother Eman are two of only three Boholanos included in the Top 100 Filipinos in Culture recognized by the Cultural Center of the Philippines (the other one is Napoleon V. Abueva, National Artist for Sculpture). He is presently the executive editor of Yes! magazine.
23. This charcoal painter is currently the local chief executive of a western municipality.
24. He is the former vocalist of South Border band. In 2005 he was chosen Male R & B or Rhythm and Blues Artist of the Year during the Philippine Hip-hop Awards. He is currently the R & B King of the Philippines.
25. Presently based in Vienna, Austria this fashion designer won a Young Designers's Award in Paris. In the year 2000, he won first prize in the Philippine Fashion and Design Competition and represented the Philippines in the Asia Pacific Young Designer Competition. He was also Mega magazine's Young Designer of the Year and finalist in the Pierre Lang Fashion Awards in 2003.
26. A songwriter, orator, poet, writer of winning "balak", scriptwriter and director of “drama”, this Boholano lawyer compiled and published “Harana: Talamdan sa mga Awit nga Halandumon” and authored "Pamalaye", a play about marriage and its many stages following local traditions.
27. He won the first prize in the "balak" category of the 2003 Carlos P. Garcia Memorial Awards for Literature. This fellow of the Silliman Writers Workshop also received the Editor's Choice Award from the International Library of Poetry and poetry.com.
28. He writes "balak" and English poetry. A graduate of the UP Writers Workshop, this US-based architect is also a photographer and digital artist.
29. This award-winning songwriter also authored Binisaya scripts for stage plays in Bohol, the most current ones being "Karaang Balay" and “Tawag sa Bantayan”, the latter capping Bohol’s celebration of National Arts Month 2009.
30. She interpreted, "Isang Dakot", a song composed by the famous Vehnee Saturno, that won the grand prize during the Fifth Metro Manila Pop Music Festival. She is now a singer in Las Vegas.
Answers: 1. Zosimo "Iyo Zosing" P. Relampagos 2. Fr. Roland Cajegas 3. Arnold R. Rebucas 4. Joseph Omar Jared Sanidad Estrada or Jad Estrada 5. Leandro "Diyong" Veloso 6. Alfred Sevilla Dancel 7. Alanito Luminarias Gomez 8. Carlito "Carling" P. Masalta 9. Clovis L. Nazareno 10. Ammie Matutes -Tamsi, Lyle Mae Cabañelez Cartagenas and Marife Larido -Tampos 11. Nelson "Cocoy" Relayosa 12. Bahandianong Arte Halad sa Namat-ang Dagang a.k.a. Bahandi 13. Loon South Central Elementary School Children's Choir 14. Emmanuel Agapito "Eman" F. Lacaba 15. Farley A. Meredores 16. Felipe G. Larido 17. Jerome Pedrigal Velasco 18. Joan Ritchell Almedilla 19. Fr. Jonas Mejorada Mejares 20. Jurey Pesudas Mirafuentes 21. Justino "Ning" R. Romea 22. Jose "Pete" F. Lacaba Jr. 23. Loon Mayor Lloyd Peter M. Lopez, MD 24. Michael "Luke" Mejares 25. Mario Rotersos 26. Atty. Melchor Pueblas Monreal 27. Rene Eune "Coycoy" P. Ponte 28. Reynald R. Luminarias 29. Reigh P. Monreal 30. Sonia Leornas Sanguenza - Ainsworth. All artists featured here are Loonanons or of Loonanon lineage. These pieces of information were included in the National Arts Month Quiz Bowl held on February 29, 2008 at the Loon Sports and Cultural Center.