Author Topic: An Amazing Story of a Bol-anon Student at University of Bohol (UB)  (Read 5765 times)

MikeLigalig.com

• FOUNDER
  • Webmaster
  • Please use the share icons below
    • View Profile
    • Book Your Tickets on a Budget
By Ven Arigo
Bohol Chronicle

He slept on a desk outside a closed restaurant, on a stool in a 24-hour bread store, his back against the corner wall or face down and flat on the snack counter or table, or on a bench beside a seated tired balot vendor at Plaza Rizal - and then woke up in each following early morning for school.

All these he used to do, and had more often done since class opening last year, without supper and breakfast.

His demeaning homelessness, chilly nights and knifing hunger in Tagbilaran City where he studies seem pre-destined to shatter the dream of Virgilio Linaza Bucia to get a college degree and, hopefully, rise from rooted poverty.

His only benefit today from being a child of poor parents in upland barangay Sto. Rosario in Antequera is his being accepted as a striver and working first year student of the University of Bohol because of it.

But the student is far too motivated, even as aggressive as a fool.

Bucia is taking up aircraft maintenance, a choice of course that could suggest the poor young man's faithful aspiration for a "takeoff' from poverty ground that has ever since held his family in economic indignity.

He is the second in a brood of nine. His father, Rogelio, a high school undergraduate and a former barangay tanod, has since been jobless while his mother, Anaclita, of only elementary education, presently works as a housemaid in the city.

Bucia can possibly avail of assistance through the Educational Subsidy Program of the administration of Gov. Edgar Chatto, himself a champion of education for the poor, who is bent on implementing it this year.

In a chance exclusive interview, Bucia confided that he managed to finish his elementary studies in their place despite their hand-to-mouth existence, subsisting on bananas, paw, which is a root crop, and little rice, if any.

He had stopped schooling after his sixth elementary year.

At age nine and despite his lean physical build, he already learned to climb coconut trees, assisting his father hired and paid to harvest matured nuts. The eldest child of the family is a girl. He is the second child and eldest son.

Bucia so valued education that he decided to enroll in first year at the Cogon Night High School in the city while working at daytime as a maintenance boy of a spa clinic at a monthly wage of P1,500.

To his misfortune, his employer closed business, forcing the boy to quit schooling again without finishing his freshman year in high school.

Bucia went home and assisted his family in whatever lowly yet decent means of earning, including making bamboo furniture out of raw skills honed by necessity.

Having a little saving from sold bamboo chairs, tables or cabinets, which would usually took time in the absence of purchase order, or no capital at all to buy new materials was alone disheartening.

Hope could spring eternal for Bucia so that in 2008 he took and passed the test for Alternative Learning System (ALS) for Accreditation and Equivalency, entitling him to an automatic full completion of high school education.

In other words, he could already eligibly enroll in college. Only his elder sister has so far actually graduated from high school. He is the "second" in their family.

But still because of utter financial handicap, Bucia stayed home and had to lead his younger brothers and sisters in helping their parents meet their daily survival needs.

STEEL RESOLVE

After all the years he failed to spend in school since graduating from elementary and quitting from high school, Bucia, this time already 25, resolved unto himself to enter college at UB as a striver last year.

Safekeeping his few personal belongings inside his striver's locker at the school, Bucia would roam around rather purposefully in the city after classes and school chores.

He could not rent a bedspace, much less a room, so he had to spend some evening time in a yet open restaurant, a store, bakery or at Plaza Rizal until his tired body - and empty belly - would force him to rest.

The student would thus sleep, even in sitting, wherever his bare feet led him to in the dying night.

Already married, his elder sister and her husband rent a small room in the city but which can no longer accommodate additional occupant because of their two children, plus Bucia's younger sister who tends to the kids at daytime while studying at the Cogon Night High School.

His elder sister happens to be presently working in Kuwait as a domestic helper, but Bucia understands that she already has her own family - and obligations to her husband and children not just for now but long, long years yet to come.

Besides, she will not keep renting a little space for her family if she has enough earning now, according to her brother. The fact that she also supports their younger sister is enough for Bucia to be grateful and happy for them.

There were countless times when Bucia only had to eat a small amount of bread before his roofless sleep, without even a thin blanket to cover his body from biting colds and insects.

How he had secured himself from blood-hardening and flesh-trembling colds during the recent weeks of phenomenal rainfalls is another tale of the poor, pathetic student's endurance - an "immunity" by poverty - not to mention the danger posed by gangsters, drug addicts and other social misfits as well as lawless elements.

Bucia would just bring with him his bag containing his class things so that he could readily study whenever he would be and readily get to his class in the morning, at many times without supper and breakfast.

In rare instances, which could happen even only once a week, he would secretly take his bath inside the school when he had still time.

When the last precious cent of his few pesos had been spent, the student would get home in Antequera, earning hard money from bamboo crafts not just to help support his family but for his school needs, too.

He has also younger siblings in elementary grades now.

GOD IS KIND

For the determined poor student and model son, God was so kind to him that He used no less than one of his teachers, whom he identified as Michael Van Reyes, His instrument to reward his suffering.

The triumph of human spirit told in the daily - and nightly - hardships of his student had come to be known to his mentor who, in turn, recounted it to a friend named Vincent Rey Rasonabe, a former aeronautics student, and his wife Nancy.

Just early last week, Reyes personally brought along with him Bucia to the house of Rasonabe near the Montessori School along Butalid Street, this city, where the student is now temporarily staying with his friend couple and their two children.

Meanwhile, about a month ago, a young man asked the parents of Rasonabe, Jun and Sally, in Aliguay, Maribojoc if they could allow him to cut and use their bamboo trees for furniture livelihood.

Overwhelmed by mercy on the needy, the couple, who has another son (elder brother of Vincent) who is an SVD priest named Fr. Roberto "Mario/Obet" Rasonabe, granted the young man's want without any money in return.

The young man turned out to be a brother of the student now fostered in the city by the son of the Rasonabe couple in Maribojoc.

They all came to know this twist of event only when Bucia was brought by the son Rasonabe to Maribojoc on the occasion of his father's birthday last February 21, exactly during which the celebrant's missionary priest son surprisingly arrived from Papua New Guinea.

Bucia really needs help - far more than this story can all suggest - to finish his college study and someday offer his parents and younger sisters and brothers "even a little comfort in life."

He yielded to this exclusive interview on a wish that his fellow poor Boholano students may be inspired by his suffering and hard work, and that those who come from families that can more than afford may not end up as frustrations to their parents. (Ven rebo Arigo)

Linkback: https://tubagbohol.mikeligalig.com/index.php?topic=38470.0
John 3:16-18 ESV
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son (Jesus Christ), that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

👉 GET easy and FAST online loan at www.tala.com Philippines

Book tickets anywhere for planes, trains, boats, bus at www.12go.co

unionbank online loan application low interest, credit card, easy and fast approval

islander

• SUPREME COURT
  • THE LEGEND
  • If you're from Pluto, you're welcome.
    • View Profile
    • Book Your Travel Tickets
Re: An Amazing Story of a Bol-anon Student at University of Bohol (UB)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 12:13:28 AM »
how touching.  this early, it's clear that virgilio bucia can triumph over adversity.  how lucky can the world be when it's peopled by the likes of the rasonabes.

meantime, maybe we can do a little something before this guy loses his mind to hunger?  i shudder at the possibility that he may go the way of someone i know who knows someone who lost his mind because of constant hunger.

my apologies if i sound shrill, but will tubag bohol please raise a little something from its willing members just to assuage this guy's hunger pangs?  may i send a certain amount for this guy through mike ligalig or tubagbohol.com who i trust will see to it that the amount reaches this guy?  please p.m. me, mike ligalig and tubagbohol.com, on the hows and wherefores.  thanks.

Republic Act 8485 (Animal Welfare Act of 1998, Philippines), as amended and strengthened by House  Bill 6893 of 2013--- violation means a maximum of P250,000 fine with a corresponding three-year jail term and a minimum of P30,000 fine and six months imprisonment

Book your travel tickets anywhere in the world, go to www.12go.co

Lorenzo

• SUPREME COURT
  • THE LEGEND
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 01:21:42 AM »
i was touched by this story. mike, i will send an undisclosed amount through the attached paypal account.

thanks and god bless.

my message to this young man: do not give up, and keep on striving forward. God will provide and will never forget your struggles! Inspire!

with adoration,
Lorenzo Lucino

www.trip.com - Hassle-free planning of your next trip

unionbank online loan application low interest, credit card, easy and fast approval

hubag bohol

• AMBASSADOR
  • THE SOURCE
  • "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 09:42:13 AM »
Kadtong mga tubigtubigan, dako jud tuod ang matabang ang inyong kontribusyon...

...than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Aaron

• STUDENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 07:16:46 AM »
Remember that poverty is not the hindrance to success...Like myself i am also one of the strivers in university of bohol in the year 1991 -1994.Assigned as janitorial services wake up at around 4:30 para mag lampaso sa mga room na napa ka alikabok peru may kasabihan na kung may tiyaga mayron kang malaga! Naka graduate ako sa UB bunga ng aking sipag at tiyaga at ngayon naka kuha na ako ng maayos na trabaho sa ibang bansa.Masarap makatapos na pinaghirapan kaya ako I LOVE MY ALMA MATER UB because without  this university diko alam kung anung naging buhay ko ngayon.Kaya Mr Bucia cheer up!hindi ka nag iisa...

statesville

• EXPERT
  • The best daily exercise -- walk with the Lord.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 07:35:31 AM »
Inspirational story and for you Aaron your hard work really pays off, congratulation.

Every Christian has GPS -God-Provided Salvation!
It may not guide you to everywhere you want to go in this world, but it will ensure  that you arrive safely in heaven.

hubag bohol

• AMBASSADOR
  • THE SOURCE
  • "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 07:48:16 AM »

Kudos to you, Bay Aaron. May you have greater successes to come... 8)

...than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

A Layman

• EXPERT
  • Sure that's me! After 2011.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 03:00:18 PM »
Kudos to you, Bay Aaron. May you have greater successes to come... 8)

The UB Strivers are trully the adopted sons and daughters of this shining school. I am indeed a striver 'from womb to tomb'. UB is trully a guiding light that leads not only me but countless other striving Boholanos then groping in darkness and entangled with the fetters of poverty.

Now, "I shall thank you now and forever, U of B my Alma Mater dear."

Sir Gaudencio Cainglet wherever you are now, you are such a wonderful person. I know my hand salute could never ever reciprocate all the things you instill in us...self discipline. Sir you are great!

Say and be Heard! Your Opinion Matters!

Lazada.com.ph Search ProductsBooking.com Hotel Search | SitemapRSS Feeds

balong

• LUMINARY
    • View Profile
    • Connect
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 09:49:28 PM »
karon pa ko maka basa ani. unsa may update ani. im willing to help

BOOK YOUR TICKETS anywhere for planes, trains, boats, bus at www.12go.co

balong

• LUMINARY
    • View Profile
    • Connect
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 09:52:22 PM »
i was touched by this story. mike, i will send an undisclosed amount through the attached paypal account.

thanks and god bless.

my message to this young man: do not give up, and keep on striving forward. God will provide and will never forget your struggles! Inspire!
keep up the good work lorenz. you are a good and generous man. may your tribe increase

with adoration,
Lorenzo Lucino

balong

• LUMINARY
    • View Profile
    • Connect
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 09:54:20 PM »
you are truly a kind and generous man LORENZ. may your tribe increase

Raquelproud boholana

• LUMINARY
  • mother of 4
    • View Profile
    • farm forum
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 09:58:35 PM »
ako pud Long ug wa pa ni nimo replyi di ni nako mabasa. Inggraduate na ba kaha ni?

"We may be surprised at the people we find in heaven. God has a soft spot for sinners. His standards are quite low"---Bishop Desmond Tutu

balong

• LUMINARY
    • View Profile
    • Connect
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 10:52:25 PM »
kini, mora ug mag lami na ta ani da. we can do something for a fellow bolanon. nia na pod ang atong milyonarya nga gwapa, si RAQUEL who is willing to help also. kinsay taga tagbilaran , palihog tubaga ning ahong mga pangutana. pila may bayad ug bedspacer monthly. maka kaon pa ba ta ug P20 diha sa merkado. usa ka kan-on, usa ka sud-an basta ma sudlan lang ang tiyan. kong pwede ang P20, we need P60 a day for food. that comes to P1800 a month plus bayad sa bedspacer. pila man ang gasto every month para mahiluna ning bata-a.naa man si LORENZ, 3 na ta nga willing mo tabang. so people of tubagbohol please answer my questions. ibutang lang pod nato ug P500 a month ang bed spacer we need P2300 a month.

how about raising funds.... :o

tubag gikan sa usa ka mag babasa.

saba diha balonglong oi. paloma loma man ka ug ka milyonaryo unja mangajo man diay ka ug tampo ;D

balong

• LUMINARY
    • View Profile
    • Connect
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 11:00:38 PM »
VIRGILIO BUCIA FUND

1. Lorenzo
2. Islander
3. Raquel
4. Balong

Those who are willing to help, just add your name to the list. Thank you

islander

• SUPREME COURT
  • THE LEGEND
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 12:11:46 AM »
this is getting better.

may i "confess" that i already did something last year; after reading virgilio's story here.  a friend facilitated it for me and she held true to my explicit request for anonymity.  i hope you understand that i'm opting not to join you now. 

yes, the guy is worth helping.  also through my friend, he sent an email of thanks.  that was enough for me. 

Republic Act 8485 (Animal Welfare Act of 1998, Philippines), as amended and strengthened by House  Bill 6893 of 2013--- violation means a maximum of P250,000 fine with a corresponding three-year jail term and a minimum of P30,000 fine and six months imprisonment

Raquelproud boholana

• LUMINARY
  • mother of 4
    • View Profile
    • farm forum
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 01:32:26 AM »
Kumusta naman ni siya karon Ms. Isle? nakahuman na ba ni?  Balong di ko milyonaryo oi akong gamay sweldo sa farm isip tig igo ra jud gipaeskwela pud sa akong mga pag umangkon. Karong open sa klase upat na ka college students akong gastuan. Di lalim ning magpas an tag responsibilidad nga responsibilidad unta sa akong mga igsoon pero unsaon man pud nga di man kaafford mopaeskwela maong bisan muna muna paeskwelahon nalang kay di ma break ang cycle of poverty ug walay makahuman. Nalipay nalang pud ko naghunahuna nga naa nay tulo nahuman sa akong gigastuan ug nakaabroad napud ang uban bahala ug di ko baslan knowing naa na silay future.

"We may be surprised at the people we find in heaven. God has a soft spot for sinners. His standards are quite low"---Bishop Desmond Tutu

Lorenzo

• SUPREME COURT
  • THE LEGEND
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 03:04:14 AM »
Isles, how can i send money to this guy? Advanced thanks.

www.trip.com - Hassle-free planning of your next trip

balong

• LUMINARY
    • View Profile
    • Connect
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 04:34:15 AM »
Isles, how can i send money to this guy? Advanced thanks.
same question w/ me. i want to send money direct to this guy. how do i do it ISLANDER. i respect your desire for anonymity.
RAQUEL, since you have so many scholars already, it's okey
LORENZ, i'm with you. tabangan ni nato nga maka human ug eskwela. kay mao nay sugo sa atong GINOO. love thy neighbor. feed the hungry. pastilang paeta nang kahimtanga. bahala na ug way kaon ningkamot gihapon ug eskwela. any others out there who are willing to help, stand and be recognized.

balong

• LUMINARY
    • View Profile
    • Connect
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 04:38:10 AM »
VIRGILIO BUCIA FUND

1. Lorenzo
2. Islander
3. Raquel
4. Balong

Those who are willing to help, just add your name to the list. Thank you

VIRGILIO BUCIA FUND.

1. Islander....sent undisclosed amount
2. Lorenzo.....
3. Balong
sa ka daghan nato dinhi sa TB, wa na bay laing mo tabang diha.. Mag lagot gani ko aho na lang ning solohon.....hihihihi

balong

• LUMINARY
    • View Profile
    • Connect
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 04:47:03 AM »
Kumusta naman ni siya karon Ms. Isle? nakahuman na ba ni?  Balong di ko milyonaryo oi akong gamay sweldo sa farm isip tig igo ra jud gipaeskwela pud sa akong mga pag umangkon. Karong open sa klase upat na ka college students akong gastuan. Di lalim ning magpas an tag responsibilidad nga responsibilidad unta sa akong mga igsoon pero unsaon man pud nga di man kaafford mopaeskwela maong bisan muna muna paeskwelahon nalang kay di ma break ang cycle of poverty ug walay makahuman. Nalipay nalang pud ko naghunahuna nga naa nay tulo nahuman sa akong gigastuan ug nakaabroad napud ang uban bahala ug di ko baslan knowing naa na silay future. 

dalaygon ang imong gibuhat RAQUEL. continue with your good work. charity begins at home. maajo nang tabangon nimo imong mga pag umangkon.

islander

• SUPREME COURT
  • THE LEGEND
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 12:52:21 AM »
Kumusta naman ni siya karon Ms. Isle? nakahuman na ba ni? 

sorry, raqz.  wa gyod ko kahibawo kay i didn't ask.  but judging from his capacity to bear his cross, he has the makings of success.  his resilience is humanity at its finest.

islander

• SUPREME COURT
  • THE LEGEND
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 12:53:29 AM »
to lorenz and balong, my answer is in the other thread (virgilio bucia fund by balong).

chicogon

• >
  • SUPREME COURT
  • GURU
    • View Profile
    • The Mark of Priestly Bliss
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 12:34:37 PM »
Just read the story... I like your group idea (making ourselves useful in a little way)... count me in  ;)

Wine does not make you FAT... it makes you LEAN.

(LEAN gainst tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.)

> Join World's Fastest Cloud Hosting Server

islander

• SUPREME COURT
  • THE LEGEND
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »
yeheeey!  balongski, fr chic is in!  (waiting for hubag and bugsay...)

alycxs

• INTERN
  • Modern Druid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 12:33:45 AM »
I'm willing pero asa man nato ipadala ? Mo uli ko ug bohol around may24-26. ginagmay ra gud pud.

“Weak is he who permits his thoughts to control his actions; strong is he who forces his actions to control his thoughts.”  (Scroll VI) ~Og Mandino

Lazada.com.ph Search ProductsBooking.com Hotel Search | SitemapRSS Feeds

Tags: