Author Topic: Bohol lawmaker Edgar Chatto criticized for taking part in P1M dinner  (Read 1490 times)

benelynne

• EXECUTIVE
  • EXPERT
  • The good is the enemy of the best. John C. Maxwell
    • View Profile
Bohol solons told: Avoid foreign trips

By Chito A. Fuentes
Inquirer Visayas
First Posted 18:46:00 08/15/2009

TAGBILARAN CITY, Philippines—Refrain from foreign travels unless absolutely necessary.

Bohol Vice Gov. Julius Caesar Herrera made this call to Boholano congressmen while the controversy raged over the lavished dinners of President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo and her entourage during a recent trip to the United States.

The vice governor noted that Representative Edgar Chatto of Bohol's first district was with the President's party in her trip to the US.

The New York Post reported that the President and 50 from her entourage racked up a $20,000-bill for their dinner at the upscale Le Cirque restaurant in New York while the Washington Post revealed that the President and a party of 65 had a $15,000-dinner at a steakhouse.

Herrera said that it would be more prudent for Boholano lawmakers not to travel abroad in the near future.

"Let us not add fuel to the fire in these times of difficulty," the vice governor said on Saturday.

But he lamented that the controversy over the expensive dinners has put the Philippines in a bad light.

Palace spokespersons had tried to justify the pricey dinners, saying they were not as lavish as critics tried to make them appear.

To this, Herrera said, "The damage has been done. Whether true or not ... government officials now appear insensitive and callous to the plight of the millions who are poor and hungry not only in the eyes of our own people but even before world opinion," Herrera added.

Herrera said that Chatto’s silence on the controversy would not leave Bohol unscathed by the controversy.

The vice governor added that the first district solon should defend the President if he believed there was nothing wrong with the dinners not only because he has been a reliable ally of President Arroyo but more importantly because he was handpicked to join the President's party.

But Herrera said he was grateful that Chatto did not foot the bill for any of the dinners.

"Considering that there are many poor people in Bohol's first district, it is good that Congressman Chatto showed prudence with his personal money," the vice governor added.

He also credited Chatto for not going on a spending binge during his foreign trips, even if he was among the millionaires in Congress.

Herrera nevertheless urged Chatto and Boholano solons Roberto Cajes and Adam Relson Jala to "make sacrifices by refraining from making any more foreign travels" until their present terms expire next year.

"They will not only save themselves from the wrath of our people but also spare Bohol of the negative publicity that comes with the lavish spending in this time of crisis," he added.

Linkback: https://tubagbohol.mikeligalig.com/index.php?topic=21623.0
Live out of your imagination, not your history.
 -- STEPHEN COVEY
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4508115&id=710401074#/profile.php?ref=name&id=710401074

unionbank online loan application low interest, credit card, easy and fast approval

Lorenzo

• SUPREME COURT
  • THE LEGEND
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
    • View Profile
Re: Bohol lawmaker Edgar Chatto criticized for taking part in P1M dinner
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 08:25:52 PM »
Who cares.

He was invited by Presidential Invitation.

Cordial reciprocation is mandated. Must we bother on the daily activities of heads of state? Where they eat, the bathrooms they occupy, the beds they sleep. The bedsheets that they use?

Perhaps GMA has Polo Ralph Lauren bed sheets that cost ~$300-$400, should we agape at that?

This has become quite petty, imho.

www.trip.com - Hassle-free planning of your next trip

thegirlnextdoor

• COME OUT FROM UNDER YOUR ROCK and BE HEARD!
  • EXPERT
  • Coming in from the cold (Bob Marley)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 11:58:30 PM »
Lorenzo I agree 100% with you.

Considering the billions Americans have sweated to save this Philippines for their own country here are the initials STFU to all you whiners and grinders out there.

Did Americans cry when we shed people and monies in this country hell no we did not and they whine over this nonsense?

How greedy Filipnos are sounding out to be in this matter?

Those complaining and not looking into the back ground in the you scratch my back I will scratch your back synopsis go find a life.

Last night I had taken dinner with actor director and gubernatorial candidate Cesar Montano and his 7-8 staff members and my foreigner expats were with me and we all ordered what we wanted and did not expect Cesar to foot our bill for us we paid our own as it was the original plan when the dinner was planned two weeks in advance.

I have heard of Mayor's complaining when they get invited out they automatically assume that the one inviting you out is the one to pay the bill.

I see Vice governor Herrera out all the time also and he is always treating his 3 or more persons on his staff there is nothing wrong in how these persons show appreciation and give incentive to be treated out with the boss for doing over time or working extra hard on the job.

I just sat through a PNP training opening in where I had signed the media list for the press conference and watched the higher provincial officials being served snacks one foot away from our faces then they want us to do a nice job in covering them when they did not even bother to give us one bottle of water?

You do not feel so much like a valuable player when you do not get taken care of just like everyone else does. Most media will write well depending on the monies being paid.

I like good honest non biased media in where no monies are given for painting someone pretty when they really are not. So many media personalities become plastic in their political candidate subject that they jump at the chance to attack and bite if they think they have reasonable grounds to grind an opposing candidate on.

I have seen Chito fuente in the company of Vice Governor Herrera and his circle a couple of times already in the past few months in the public..........
There is nothing wrong with that as Chito is a good writer and should be treated kindly by Herrera.

Bottom line it is okay to treat people for doing jobs that have been well done. But when a writer has to be paid to write lies about a candidate that when I am ruffled up in my feathers.

God maybe I am off topic but anyways it all ties in as examples I hope.

Do we need to be paid to be honest? If the answer is "YES!" then this is not such a democratic country after all is it?

Maybe our friend De Bensi  (spelling?) can lend her cat's scratching post during the election coming up here in 2010. ha ha ha!!!

unionbank online loan application low interest, credit card, easy and fast approval

Lorenzo

• SUPREME COURT
  • THE LEGEND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 01:05:05 AM »
The negativity of the peope and news media is unfathomable.

Their business is to pick and choose, and continually pick and pick and pick at the heads of state, making their business to fulfill their job almost an impossibility.

Yet at the same time, news media demand that the head of state do the best he/she can.

Hypocrites.

The demand the best, but at the same time, profit in publishing negative information, fueling the sabers and raddles of the oppositionary party, which have done NOTHING for the country.

I am sorry, but GMA, is a good woman. GOD BLESS HER.

Under her presidency, the Philippines has become a financial target and investment target. The nation's growth has surged to 4-5% to 6-7%.

Right now, all the world is suffering financial burden, even the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

But the Philippines is spared. Its economy surges, its wealth is growing, the nation is growing!

Stop looking at the negatives, and appreciate the positives that has occured the last decade.

In the end, she, afterall, is a human, not a superhuman. She has done what was expected of her, doing what was provided for, scaling through the tricky and dangerous waters of Philippine Political Echelon.

She has survived coups, she was placed in power by political people's power, she has survived storms that have come across her, time and time again. She has seen the rise of 2 American presidents: Bush and Obama.

I salute this woman. She may be small, but she is intelligent, political, strong willed, and most of all: FIRM.

MABUHAY ANG PILIPINAS!
ISANG DIWA AT ISANG BANSA!

Lorenzo

• SUPREME COURT
  • THE LEGEND
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 01:08:16 AM »
Lorenzo I agree 100% with you.

Considering the billions Americans have sweated to save this Philippines for their own country here are the initials STFU to all you whiners and grinders out there.

Did Americans cry when we shed people and monies in this country hell no we did not and they whine over this nonsense?

How greedy Filipnos are sounding out to be in this matter?

Those complaining and not looking into the back ground in the you scratch my back I will scratch your back synopsis go find a life.

Last night I had taken dinner with actor director and gubernatorial candidate Cesar Montano and his 7-8 staff members and my foreigner expats were with me and we all ordered what we wanted and did not expect Cesar to foot our bill for us we paid our own as it was the original plan when the dinner was planned two weeks in advance.

I have heard of Mayor's complaining when they get invited out they automatically assume that the one inviting you out is the one to pay the bill.

I see Vice governor Herrera out all the time also and he is always treating his 3 or more persons on his staff there is nothing wrong in how these persons show appreciation and give incentive to be treated out with the boss for doing over time or working extra hard on the job.

I just sat through a PNP training opening in where I had signed the media list for the press conference and watched the higher provincial officials being served snacks one foot away from our faces then they want us to do a nice job in covering them when they did not even bother to give us one bottle of water?

You do not feel so much like a valuable player when you do not get taken care of just like everyone else does. Most media will write well depending on the monies being paid.

I like good honest non biased media in where no monies are given for painting someone pretty when they really are not. So many media personalities become plastic in their political candidate subject that they jump at the chance to attack and bite if they think they have reasonable grounds to grind an opposing candidate on.

I have seen Chito fuente in the company of Vice Governor Herrera and his circle a couple of times already in the past few months in the public..........
There is nothing wrong with that as Chito is a good writer and should be treated kindly by Herrera.

Bottom line it is okay to treat people for doing jobs that have been well done. But when a writer has to be paid to write lies about a candidate that when I am ruffled up in my feathers.

God maybe I am off topic but anyways it all ties in as examples I hope.

Do we need to be paid to be honest? If the answer is "YES!" then this is not such a democratic country after all is it?

Maybe our friend De Bensi  (spelling?) can lend her cat's scratching post during the election coming up here in 2010. ha ha ha!!!

We cannot please everyone. Politics is Politics.

Her accomplishments precede her. That is undeniable. Naysayers will always be naysayers.

Under her administration, she firmented the AMERICAN-PHILIPPINE ALLIANCE.

Under her administration, billions of dollars have been sent to the Philippines by the United States of America, and the re-establishment of CARAT and Visiting Forces Agreement.

The eradication of the Muslim Separatists is underway, and the growth and modernization of the Philippine Armed Forces is undeniable.

Arroyo has increased the power and strength of the AFP more than any other presidents.

Since the days of MARCOS. When the Armed Forces of the Philippines was the Strongest Arm in the entire South East Asia.

LONG LIVE THE PHILIPPINE EAGLE!

Lorenzo

• SUPREME COURT
  • THE LEGEND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 01:16:21 AM »
Priscilla,

The phenomenon of uber-dramatization by the liberal news media is not only a Philippine-case scenario, but a problem even here in the United States.

Focusing on negative aspects of the current health plan by the Obama Administration.

It only strains energy of the people; when in all reality, the health plan will benefit not only the citizens of the United States, but even the financial sectors and the medical pillars.

The unfortunate effect is when people believe completely the one-sided news media cover stories.

I am in no way being bipartisan. As both sides, democratic and republican are guilty of doing this.

just my view.

Tags: