Cavite health official confirms 2 dengue deaths
By Rogelio Limpin
IMUS CITY, Cavite, Feb. 24 (PNA) -- A health official from the Cavite Provincial Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (PESU) reported Friday that dengue has claimed two lives from the month of January until the first week of February this year.
Dr. Nelson C. Soriano, head of Cavite PESU, told the PNA here that the two fatalities were reported one each from Barangay Kaybagal South Poblacion in Tagaytay City and Barangay San Vicente II in Silang, Cavite.
Soriano disclosed that their monitoring period early this year included 368 cases of dengue fever although this figure is 55 percent lower compared to the same period last year with 821 cases.
He said that out of the 368 cases, around 290 were hospitalized and 10 patients were confirmed with the disease after laboratory tests.
The PESU official said that the dengue cases affected people aged 0.83 to 78 years old and majority or 54 percent of the cases are males.
Soriano also identified the Top 5 Cavite cities with the highest incidence of dengue cases: General Trias City – 65; Imus City – 48; Bacoor City - 41; Dasmariñas City - 5 and Trece Martires City – 4.
The top municipalities are: Naic – 31; Tanza – 29; Rosario - 20 cases.
Soriano also said there are cases monitored in upland and rainy areas like Silang, Amadeo, Ternate and Maragondon.
He said there is lower incidence in the lowland and urban areas which have started to experience sunny weather.
Epidemiologists have advised households here to conduct regular cleanup drives and search and destroy operations on breeding sites of mosquitoes which are possible carriers of dengue, zika and chikungunya viruses.
The DOH and provincial health officials here have been informing and reminding residents to practice the 4S habit on dengue prevention: search and destroy mosquito breeding places; use self-protection measures; seek early consultation for fevers lasting more than two days; and say yes to fogging when there is an impending outbreak. (PNA)