travel insurance protection insured trip abroad security

Author Topic: More women in tourism but fewer in executive positions  (Read 308 times)

  • Webmaster
  • *****
  • Posts: 22004
  • NEED A WEBSITE? 09206301130 |
    • Share Post
More women in tourism but fewer in executive positions
« on: December 11, 2016, 10:19:52 PM »
More women in tourism but fewer in executive positions -- TIEZA

MANILA, Dec. 11 (PNA) -- Women make up between 60 to 70 percent of workers in the tourism industry according to the International Labor Organization (ILO), however, more men still occupy executive positions.

Lawyer Shangrila Quezon said that although this was common in almost any other occupation, the Department of Tourism (DOT) and Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (TIEZA) are hoping to slowly change this scenario.

Data from TIEZA show that as of June 2016, it has a total workforce of 1,037 employees which is made up of 532 (51 percent) male employees and 505 (49 percent) female.

Quezon said that this figure did not immediately mean that there was a bias towards employing men versus women stating that equal opportunity should be maintained between both genders.

The same data from TIEZA showed that more men occupy positions in the top officials/executive levels with at least 80 percent of its workforce while women occupy the remaining 20 percent in the same positions.

“It’s like this in almost any occupation,” Shangrila said in a recent Women in Community-Based Tourism Forum held in the Diamond Hotel this week.

In the middle managers level, however, there are more women that occupy positions with 52.8 percent compared to men with only 47.2 percent.

“Men mostly occupy first level and top level, but women mostly occupy the middle level,” Quezon said noting that this was a welcome development.

“What we must work on is avoiding the objectification of women in the workforce,” she added referring to one of the main gender issues in the tourism industry.

Gender issues in the tourism industry include increased vulnerability of women and children, sexual harassment in the work place, trafficking, prostitution, commercialization of men, women and children, gender stereotyping, sex disaggregation of data, and sex tourism.

The 2015 Global Gender Gap Index Report shows that the Philippines ranked 7th among 145 countries in gender equality being the only Asian country consistently included in the top 10.

Quezon said that notable progress has been made but many aspects leave room for improvement. (PNA)
JBP/ANP can now be accessed on mobile phones via Tapatalk App both in Android and Apple OS.

Romans 10:9-10
"If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved."

My Facebook Profile:
RSS Feeds Tubag Bohol Feed Burner

Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Tech Update | Google crafts algorithms to get more women in more positions

Started by on Spying the Internet

0 Replies
Last post March 07, 2013, 06:46:52 AM
Department of Tourism (DoT) Tacloban Wants LGUs To Have Tourism Offices

Started by Ligalig-Mike on Travel and Tours

0 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 06:02:21 AM
by Ligalig-Mike
Tourism Sec. Ace Durano hails Bohol as a perfect example of eco-tourism

Started by benelynne on Travel and Tours

0 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 09:52:18 AM
by benelynne
Fewer Pinoys getting married

Started by hubag bohol on Lifestyle, Culture and Arts

6 Replies
Last post April 01, 2013, 02:36:49 AM
by Ching
Fewer Filipinos Getting Married

Started by hazel on Philippine Daily News

18 Replies
Last post February 16, 2008, 05:57:38 AM
by Bambi

Latest Topics

[Yesterday at 10:35:58 PM]

USAID feasibility study (FS) on Bohol Water and Sanitation Project (BWSP) by
[Yesterday at 04:27:35 AM]

Vivere Hotel by
[December 16, 2017, 08:14:58 PM]

Dish solar concentrator at the Australian National University in Canberra by
[December 16, 2017, 07:25:57 PM]

Greenpeace Activist by
[December 16, 2017, 06:02:31 PM]

Thai workers check palms at a bio-diesel production factory by
[December 16, 2017, 05:59:55 PM]

Windmill Company in Germany by
[December 16, 2017, 05:57:31 PM]

Rohingya Muslim woman by
[December 16, 2017, 05:53:39 PM]

Goodbye, Summer by
[December 16, 2017, 03:21:34 PM]

Southern Tailors Fabric Imaging Launches "Markets We Serve" by
[December 16, 2017, 10:23:52 AM]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
ESET Antivirus and Internet Security for Mac computers and laptops - Save 25%
Powered by SMFPacks SEO Pro Mod | Sitemap
Mobile View
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2017, SimplePortal