Zero dengue death in Ilocos Norte so far in 2016
LAOAG CITY, June 1 (PNA) -- Residents here may have been doing something great to avert dengue.
For the period of January to May this year, the Provincial Health Office in Ilocos Norte recorded no deaths due to dengue.
Dr. Josephine Ruedas, Acting Provincial Health Officer, said Wednesday the province continue to intensify its campaign to prevent dengue. Compared to previous years where there were reported dengue deaths, she said that so far, the province has no recorded mortality during the first five months of the year.
Based on records of the Department of Health’s Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit and Health Emergency Management Systems (DOH-RESU-HEMS), dengue patients admitted in different disease reporting units in Region 1 were at 12,550 cases from January 1 to October 19, 2015 compared to only 5,252 cases during the same period in 2014.
Of the dengue cases, 7,778 or 62 percent were treated in government hospitals; 4,401 or 35 percent in private hospitals and 371 or three percent in city and rural health units.
There were 24 dengue deaths reported last year as compared to eight in 2014.
On the same period, Pangasinan was reported with highest mortality rate with 14, Ilocos Norte with six, and La Union with four deaths. Ilocos Sur had no reported dengue deaths.
In view of this, Ruedas expressed gratitude to all Ilocos residents for their continued support to the clean and green program of the provincial, municipal and village levels and ensure that no life is threatened by the dengue-carrying mosquitoes.
She likewise urged the public to stay vigilant and get rid immediately of possible breeding sites such as empty cans or containers especially in this time of rainy season. (PNA)